Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kiwi Paparazzi : Fame Culture: LIVING ON A PRAYER - Meeting Bon Jovi

December 5, 2010

They've been at the top of the music charts for about 30 years, with countless of awards and sold out tours, Bon Jovi hit New zealand in early December 2010 for two sold out concerts in Wellington and Auckland. After doing some research, I launch out where the historic band would be staying and distinct to make a risk in merging these Rock legends.


Bon Jovi arrived in Auckland on the dawn of December 5, 2010, from Wellington. I got to their hotel in the other afternoon and waited in the lobby. It wasn't long until I saw keyboardist, David Bryan, walk through the hotel, with his blue jeans, black t-shirt, dark sunglasses and his long rocker hair, he stood out upon the other guests in the hotel. Happy to check for a photo, David stopped to chat briefly, asking if I was leaving to the concert and thanked me for existence a fan. As it was getting near to the clock of Bon Jovi's departure from the hotel to Vector Arena, I walked away the hotel and waited by the rear entrance, where at least 20 other fans were also waiting to get a glance of the band. Around an hour later, a few SUV's pulled up outside the hotel, which got everyone waiting excited, and some 30 minutes later, out walked one of the greatest guitarists of all time, a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame and Bon Jovi lead guitarist, Richie Sambora. No alien to the public, Richie was all smiles as he greeted fans, taking photos with everyone who asked. A few moments later, David Bryan and Tico Torres exited the hotel and got into the waiting cars...

Me and David Bryan

The crew of fans erupted with cheers and applause as the doors open and Jon Bon Jovi, with his assistant carrying his bag, took a step outside. Shorter than I expected, dressed in blue jeans, a black T-shirt, brown leather cap and perfect hair, Jon waved at us with a grin on his face, stopped for one group photo with some five fans and sign a CD insert before getting in the backseat of his SUV and drive off. I was hoping Jon would be nicer. He seemed like he wasn't interested and couldn't be bothered stopping for a few photos, which would've taken less than two minutes.
Me and Richie Sambora

After the Bon Jovi: Cirlce Tour concert, I arrived back to the hotel at about midnight for a 2nd opportunity at meeting Jon Bon Jovi. A few people who were waiting during the day had returned to the hotel with the like intentions as mine. About an hour later, the band finally arrived back at the hotel. Once again, Richie Sambora was a separate act, taking photos with those who didn't get one in the afternoon, and wave us goodbye as he entered the hotel. Jon Bon Jovi was close to get out of his car, and exactly like earlier, he wouldn't stop. It was clearly that he had been drinking. When asked if we could all get photos with him, he only laughed and walked off to the hotel bar, carrying a salute in his hand. I noticed a few female fans try to get his aid in the hotel, but they were quickly told off by Bon Jovi's personal security. My hopes of acquiring a picture with one of music's sexiest men seemed almost impossible. As they alone were in the land for one more day, I decided to try again in the morning.

Trying to obviate the rush hour traffic on a Monday morning, I returned to the hotel at around 7am and waited, once again, outside the hotel with the same group of mass as the former day. Everyone chatted with each other to draw the clock until a few hours passed, and three Mercedes SUVs drove by and parked on the street. "Finally," we all thought. It was after noon and Bon Jovi's manager was patched inside the hotel checking the circle out. We were but a few moments away from beholding the legendary rockers from New Jersey for the final time, before they left our shores. First to give the hotel was David Bryan, followed by Richie Sambora, who both waved goodby to us before getting in their cars. Drummer, Tico Torres was next who said hi to the women calling out his name, but nobody stopped him for an autograph or photo. Just as Tico was getting into his car, a few high pitched screams were heard from behind me, which could but have meant one thing - Jon Bon Jovi, with dark aviator glasses covering his eyes and looking tired from his late night, was exiting the hotel. I, as good as everyone else waiting, asked if he could please spare a few minutes to have some photos. Without speaking, he stopped, and motioned with his script for masses to stand beside him and shot away. One by one, everyone got a photo standing adjacent to the Hall of Famer. It was finally my turn. I walked towards him with a silly grin on my side and put my arm round his waist. I was ended the moonlight as my camera flashed and my picture was taken. "OK, no more!" said his assistant. I turned to thank Jon and watched him get into the Mercedes that Richie was already in. The doors to the cars shut and drove off to the airport, leaving Auckland, and leaving New Zealand.
Me and Jon Bon Jovi

My overall thoughts of Jon Bon Jovi were pretty disappointing. I wasn't expecting him to be good of life, but I thought he could have been a bit friendlier to his fans who had spent many hours waiting to see him. I see that this form of care would be received all over the world, but it takes less than 5 minutes to get a few photos and signed a few autographs to make somebody's day, week, or even year. Richie Sambora impressed me with his quick and kind interactions with fans. I get naught but serious things to say around him and David Byran. I don't look like I can say much about Tico Torres, as no one bothered to catch him. However, I can't complain too much, because I did get photos with the men I wanted to see and eventually met one of the greatest bands of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment